Tuesday, May 12, 2009

iMusic - The music iDig :)


I've been asked several times about my favourite music artists, bands and genres. And even in networking sites, when my favourite bands are asked to be listed, I draw a blank.... How can I answer such a question? My musical interests range over a wiiiiiide array of genres. And when I answer "Fav band? None in particular. I like several." , generally I draw looks reserved for the slugs. It's like being asked my favourite football club. I like several clubs, in fact, any club that plays beautiful and efficient football. My peers generally stick and support some quality teams - ManU, Chelsea FC, FC Barca , etc. And these guys scoff at me when I don't name any one particular club as my favourite. Any one club I apparently am "not proud to wear the colours of, and stand behind through thick and thin." Well, frankly, mates, I can understand your sentiments if you were actually LIVING in Chelsea or Barcelona :P. I mean, I'm INDIAN for chrissakes. And I'm a decent footballer myself. What's wrong with me wanting to enjoy the beautiful game of all the good teams out there? Anyways - I've digressed too much. Let the topic of football be reserved for a later post. Now let me stick to music. :)

What makes a song strike a chord with you? Is it just the tune, or the lyrics, or the beat, the rhythm or the pure idea? I mean, it might be a combination of all these factors - but how exactly do you define your 'favourite' band, if you are like me, who loves a few songs from hundreds of differnet bands? I cannot, honestly place a finger on any one particular artist and say, " Yea. Tha's the one."

And it's not only the music. I mean, I wasn't a big fan of rock music till, what? Maybe two years ago. Then I got introduced to hard rock, or metal... Aerosmith and Iron Maiden were the first couple of bands that I fell in love with. And while I was grooving to Linkin Park and Porcupine Tree, everyone around me, my buddies in hostel and even my bro to some extent, were going ga-ga over Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I honestly didn't think much of them ( oops! sorry guys, no offence ) , though now I am familiar with their music as well, and my heart just stands still when I listen to "Stairway to Heaven" and "Welcome to the Machine".

A funny story about how I got into metal.... In 8th grade, I was in one of the three teams representing my high school in the YMCA General Quiz. In one of the qualifying stages, me and my teammate Amit got a question related to music... We guessed Pink Floyd ( Music was a weak area for both of us, and I only knew of Pink Floyd because my dad had a cassette of The Wall among his favourites, along with Cheb Khaled, Michael Jackson and ABBA ). Unfortunately, the answer was Aerosmith, of whom, I had never even heard of, till that point. Guess what - we made it through three qualifying stages and finally into the last round, yet we still didn't know of any metal band except Aerosmith, and whenever a question related to music turned up, we had "Aerosmith!" at the tips of our tongues. :P
( in pic:Aerosmith )

Well, to cut a long story short, ( oops, too late :P) I went home after the finals, and just out of curiosity downloaded the album "Pandora's Toys", if nothing but only to check out the music of the band that we had named no less than thirteen times out of fourteen questions! ( None of them turned out to be correct, of course :( ) And here I am.

Most of the exposure I've had in music has been after I joined college... and it wasn't until I heard Metallica, Apocalyptica, Poets of the Fall, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters, Guns n' Roses, and oh, the list is endless, did I truly appreciate the depth of music and the wide spectrum of genres to choose from. My mind still swirls, I still don't have a 'favourite' bad or artist as such, but I enjoy my music as much as the next guy, so who gives a damn. Anywez, till the next post, am off, now listening to "Over Now" by Alice in Chains. Toodle-oo!!

( in pic: Linkin Park )
Check out my other blog http://daveyroncult.blogspot.com as well... A collection of some great music, and band histories. Comments welcome, as usual! :) \m/


No comments: